Halloween is slowly approaching and I’m always looking for healthier options than the sugar filled candy around this time of year. So this year I came up with these healthier Oh Henry! bars and yes they are very similar to Snickers bars. Now the Canadian Oh Henry bars are a little different from the American ones, one is made by Hershey and the other is Nestle which I’ve layered like the American bar even though I’m familiar to the Canadian bar. It just layered better this way, I also thought I could mix the caramel into the fudge layer but wasn’t too sure how the texture would turn out so I went this way. Recipe below, enjoy!
Oh Henry! Protein Bars
•1 scoop LeanFit vanilla 100% whey
•½ Cup Oat flour
•1Tbsp. Coconut flour
•½ Cup peanut butter
•¼ Cup VitaFiber syrup *
•¼ Cup + 1Tbsp. Almond milk or choice
•1 Cup dates, soaked in hot water
•1/3 Cup water (use leftover from soaking)
•½ tsp. Pure vanilla extract
•¼ Cup peanuts
•150g Dark chocolate, chopped
•1 tsp. Coconut oil
1. Combine whey, oat flour, coconut flour and salt in medium bowl and set aside.
2. In saucepan over medium heat combine peanut butter, VitaFiber syrup and almond milk and stir until just smooth. Add to dry ingredients and fold together with spatula until well combined.
3. Line loaf pan (8”x4”) with parchment paper and evenly press down fudge layer and set aside.
4. In food processor combine dates, water and vanilla and process until smooth and caramel like. Spread over fudge layer evenly and then press down peanuts into caramel layer. Place in fridge for an hour.
5. Melt your chocolate while you wait for cooling. Over double boiler combine chocolate and coconut oil and melt until no clumps remain.
6. Cut into 16 bars and coat each bar with melted chocolate and place on parchment lined sheet and place back in fridge to harden the chocolate. Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
*If you can’t find VitaFiber syrup it can be substituted with any sticky sweetener.