Day 13 of Whole30 over here and I’m feeling amazing! Love Saturday and Sunday mornings because I have time to make yummy breakfasts like this one. This recipe is super simple too. Hope you enjoy!
Potato Patties with Smashed Avocado & Poached Eggs
• 5 cups grated potato (I used russet but any potato or sweet potato will work)
• 1 tsp sea salt
• ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
• ½ tsp onion powder (optional)
• 2 eggs, whisked
• ¼ cup almond flour
• 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
• 2 Tablespoons chives, chopped (you can also use dry)
• 2-3 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
• 1 ripe large avocado, mashed
• Poached eggs 1 per patty
• Chives / parsley for garnish
1. Grate potatoes using food processor or box grater. Place potatoes in cheesecloth or paper towels/clean dish towel and squeeze out excess moisture (try and get as much moisture out as possible for crisper patties).
2. Place grated potatoes in a bowl. Add salt, pepper and onion powder and toss together. Add whisked eggs, almond flour, arrowroot powder and chives. Mix together until well combined.
3. Heat a pan over med-high heat. Add 1Tbsp ghee and heat pan until hot. Scoop ½ cup at a time of potato mixture and press down onto hot pan. Cook until golden brown about 3-4 minutes and flip, cook until brown again (turn pan down if it gets too hot). Remove and place on paper towel. Add more ghee to pan if needed for next batches. While potatoes cook mash avocado with a fork.
4. Poach your eggs (I use handy egg poacher). Click here for a good tutorial if you don’t know how to poach eggs or don’t have an egg poacher.
5. Top patties with mashed avocado and poached eggs. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and garnish with chives and parsley.
Yield 7 patties.
So I’m on day 17 of whole30 and am thinking about different ways to eat eggs as I have them every day. Last night I was planning today’s meals and came up with this idea spreading mashed yam on the bottom of a dish then adding a sausage patty in the centre then adding two eggs on top and bake. I originally thought of doing in muffin cups but knew the eggs wouldn’t fit so thought of using large size ramekins. I decided to do both ways and to leave the eggs out in muffin cups. There were a few steps to get this done but it is definately worth the wait! See below for the details.
•2 medium Yams, peeled and cubed
•1Tbsp coconut oil
•1lb ground pork
•1tsp Dried Sage
•1tsp Dried Thyme
•1tsp Dried Oregano
•1/2tsp Onion powder
•1/2tsp Garlic powder
•1/2tsp red pepper flakes
•1/4tsp pink Himalayan salt
•1/2tsp fresh ground pepper
•5 thin slices Zucchini, chopped
•1/3 Bell pepper, chopped
1. Boil cubed yams until just tender about 10 minutes once done mash with coconut oil.
2. While yams are boiling combine pork and all seasonings together in bowl until well combined. Preheat frying pan to medium heat and make sausage patties the size round of your dish you are using (I used 2 – 4″ ramekins and 9 square muffin cups). Fry few minutes per side, it’s ok if still pink you will be baking.
3.Chop your zucchini and pepper into little pieces and set aside. Preheat oven too 400°F. Grease your dishes and place on baking sheet, I used coconut oil. Now you can assemble it.
4. First place dollop of Yam in dish, using a spoon spread yam up sides and creating a well in center, repeat with remaining dishes. Take sausage patty and place in centre of each dish then bake in oven for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, sprinkle chopped bell pepper and zucchini over each dish. Crack two eggs in your ramekin size dishes and bake again 10-15 more minutes until eggs are cooked to your liking.
6. Remove from oven, let stand 5-10 minutes. Enjoy.
○Serves 2 plus mini muffin size bakes can be used for snacks or other meals for the week.
I love the weekends, on Saturday’s I cook pancakes and on Sunday’s I cook eggs so today decided to do skillet.
•2 small sweet potatoes / yams
•4 mushrooms sliced
•1/2 sweet onion chopped
•1 large clove garlic minced
•4 pieces turkey bacon, sliced into cube pieces
•1/2 tomato chopped
•1/2 avocado chopped
•1-2oz fat free feta cheese
Bring pot of water to boil. Peel sweet potatoes and chop into bite size cubes add them to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Heat skillet over medium heat, spray with oil and add drained potatoes once done boiling. Cook for 8-10 minutes then add mushrooms, onion, garlic and bacon. Cook for another 5-10 minutes. Cook eggs in another pan sunny side up. Place potato mixture on plate and top with eggs, chopped tomatoes, avocado and feta. Add fresh pepper if you like.