One thing I’ve always wanted to make was Pho and during my 4th Whole30 was the first time!
I had a large batch of bone broth that I made the weekend before that had to be used so this was the perfect time.
Instead of rice noodles in traditional Pho I used zucchini “noodles” to make this Whole30 compliant. Of course you can use rice noodles if you are not following Whole30. I use a spiralizer but if you have a julienne peeler that works great too!
- 1 Chunk (thumb size) fresh Ginger, peeled and sliced into chunks
- 3 Garlic cloves, sliced in half
- 3 Whole star anise
- 2 Whole cloves
- ½ Cinnamon stick
- 10 Peppercorns
- 5 Cups Bone broth or whole30 approved broth
- 12oz cooked, thinly sliced pork sirloin (alternate chicken or beef sirloin)
- ½ Cup Shitake mushrooms, chopped (alternate white or brown mushrooms)
- 1 Cup Bok choy, chopped (alternate kale or spinach)
- ½ Yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ Jalapeno, thinly sliced (seeds removed if you don’t like spicy)
- 1 Medium Zucchini, spiralized or julienned
- Cilantro and lime for garnish
- Place ginger, garlic, star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick and peppercorns in large pot with a splash of broth and cook over medium heat until fragrant about 3-5 minutes. Add remaining broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Thinly slice your pork or protein of choice (unless you have some already cooked). I seasoned mine with a little salt, pepper and ground ginger.
- Strain the broth removing all the spices and return broth to medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, bok choy, onion and jalapeno and cook for about 10-20 minutes until veggies are soft and flavours develop.
- Spiralize or julienne your zucchini and place into serving bowls.
- Ladle soup into bowls over “zoodles” and top with fresh cilantro and lime. Optional add some bean sprouts too!
Hope you enjoy as much as I did. I had leftovers for lunch!