A healthy tootsie roll? That taste better than the real thing and is so simple to make? Yes I have the recipe for you!
Halloween is full of candy and sugar, why not make something that you don’t have to feel guilty about giving your kids and yourself of course!
After you combine all your ingredients you should be able to form a round ball.
Roll flat with rolling pin or tall glass to abot 1/2″ thick.
Then slice horizontally in 1/2″ strips.
Then slice again into about 1-1/2″ pieces (preferred size of your tootsies).
I joined some of the end pieces to get right size. Form tootsies using your hands into round rectangular pieces.
Place in fridge to firm up and wrap in individual papers if desired (I cut wax paper up and twisted ends).
Protein Tootsie Rolls
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder (I used Camino Dutch-Processed)
- ½ Cup LeanFit Chocolate 100% Whey protein powder (appx. 1 heaping scoop)
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut flour
- 1 tsp. Granulated stevia (I used Truvia) – optional
- 1/8 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- ¼ Cup (60g) VitaFiber syrup (*honey can be subbed)
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut oil
- ½ tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- In medium bowl mix cocoa powder, whey powder, coconut flour, stevia and salt and set aside.
- In small saucepan heat up VitaFiber syrup over medium heat until bubbles form, add coconut oil and vanilla and mix, pour into dry ingredients and with spatula fold ingredients together until you get a dough.
- Place dough onto wax/parchment paper and knead with your hand until firm, roll flat with rolling pin or large glass; about ½ an inch thick.
- Slice into 1/2″ strips then slice creating tootsie roll sized pieces about 1-1/2″, the ends may need to be joined with other end pieces to create same shape. Form pieces with your hands rolling on flat surface to get desired shape.
- Store in fridge and roll in individual papers if desired.
Yield: 42 Pieces
Macros per 1 piece (using VitaFiber)
Calories: 17 | Carb: 2g (1g Fiber/0g Sugar) | Fat: 1g | Protein: 1g
Macros per 6 pieces
Calories: 105 | Carb: 12g | Fat: 5g | Protein: 8g
*Note: I have tried this recipe with honey instead of VitaFiber with almost exact results, please note the macronutrients will alter and the flovour too.