Happy thanksgiving Canada! 🍁
I made this yummy pie for dessert. I made a healthier version using a whole wheat crust, organic natural brown sugar and also coconut oil in the crumble and it turned out delicious! Here’s the recipe➡
For the pie crust (yields 1, 10″ crust)
· 1 ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 6 Tbsp cold butter
· 3-6 Tablespoons cold water (I used 4)
For the filling:
· 7 apples, cored, peeled and sliced
· ½ cup natural organic brown sugar
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· ¼ tsp nutmeg
· 1 Tbsp flour
· 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
For the crumble:
· ¾ cup oat flour
· 1 cup old-fashioned oats
· 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
· ¼ cup natural organic brown sugar
· ½ cup coconut oil, cold
1. Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
2. Spray an 8 inch pie pan with cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl combine flour, salt and cold butter with your fingertips until crumbly adding ice water until you get thick dough like texture (I used 4 Tbsp).
4. Knead dough lightly and shape a ball. On a floured surface roll out the dough until you get the right size to fit in your pie dish, place in prepared dish and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile in another large bowl combine chopped apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour. Pour over baked crust.
6. In another large bowl combine all topping ingredients with your fingertips until crumbly, spread over apple mixture.
7. Bake for another 30-35 minutes.
8. Let cool before eating.
Note: The filling makes a lot, I had extra filling leftover that I baked in separate dish and sprinkled a little extra crumble over and baked for 20mins.